Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Kite Runner Review

I finished reading The Kite Runner today. It is an excellent book and I would highly recommend it. Yet, I don't think it is for everybody. It was a highly emotional book to read and I think one has to be in the right frame of mind to read it. It is about a young man who grew up in Kabul, Afghanistan until the time of the Russian invasion of that country and the subsequent rise of the Taliban. He lives with his father whose servant's son is his best friend. This is a touching, yet heartbreaking novel about love, life, and friendship, in addition to the parallel story of the troubles and wars in Afghanistan.

I have to ask myself, why we are just now hearing the stories of these terrible times and aweful crimes that took place in this country? How could things have turned out different? What could we have done?

No comments: